Many people don’t even know how to prepare for the New GRE and how to start. So here’s the review of the all the major New GRE preparation Books. I’ve reviewed all the books for the New GRE and will share my experience about all the books and which books you should prefer for your GRE Preparation. I’ve divided the GRE Preparation books in 4 categories namely General (Both Verbal & Quants) , Quants, Verbal and Vocabulary. I’ll rate all the books out of 10.
1. GRE Preparation Books for Verbal & Quants
- ETS’s Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test 2nd Edition : Must have book for GRE Preparation. Don’t even miss a single page of the ETS Official guide. This book is published by the Test takers itself. What else do you need?
8.5 / 10 (Must have)
- Barron’s New GRE 19th Edition : For Quants start with Barron’s itself. Enough Practice questions are available. The verbal section is okay. Doesn’t have the word lists at the back. 8 / 10 (Must have)
- Kaplan New GRE Premier : It has good Verbal section but Math section is not so good. Can be used as Practice material for Quants. 7.5 / 10
- Princeton Review : Cracking the New GRE : Has good strategies for Verbal and Quants both and especially for Reading Comprehension. 8 / 10
- Gruber’s Complete GRE Guide : The book doesn’t cover each and every aspect of GRE Verbal.Enough of Quants questions but lacks Verbal questions. 5 / 10
- Manhattan Prep GRE Set of 8 Strategy Guides : Must have book for GRE Preparation for all the aspirants. It costs around 7K Rs/- But all the 8 books are worth a penny. The best material in the market for the GRE preparation. Covers each and every topic and has very good strategies as well as practice questions. 9.5 / 10 (Must have)
2. GRE Preparation Books for Quants
- McGraw-Hill’s Conquering the New GRE Math : For beginners it has some very good practice questions but remember just for Beginners. If you are good at math you’ll probably feel that the quality of the questions are okay.
8.5 / 10 (Must have)
- Nova’s Math Bible : This is the best GRE Preparation book for Quants. It has some really hard questions and its for the advanced Students. Though Do not rely on their explanations and answers. They are erratic and irrelevant.
8.5 / 10 (Must have)
- 1,014 GRE Practice Questions : The practice questions are really easy and do not really reflect the actual GRE questions. 7 / 10
- Barron’s GRE Math Workbook : Can be used as a practice material for Quants. 8 / 10
- Kaplan’s New GRE Math Workbook : Good book for beginners but can’t rely much on the book. The difficulty level of the questions is not par with the actual GRE questions. 7 / 10
- Princeton’s Math Workout For The New GRE : If you need some exhaustive Quant practice than this is the book but can’t rely on the questions though. Can be used as a Practice material. 7.5 / 10
3. GRE Preparation Books for Verbal
- Barron’s GRE Verbal Workbook : Has the Exhaustive word list at the back plus good strategies for Reading Comprehension as well. 8.5 / 10 (Must have)
- Princeton’s Verbal Workout For The New GRE : Good strategies for Verbal but practice questions are okay. 7.5 / 10
- Kaplan’s New GRE Verbal Workbook : One of the best GRE Preparation book for Verbal. Kaplan has a edge over the Barron’s for sure. Though it contains less words but they have explained the words along with their roots which is easy to learn. Has some real good Reading Comprehension strategies and practice questions are more realistic.
9 / 10 (Must have)
4. GRE Preparation Books for Vocabulary
- Barron’s Essential Words for the GRE : This book helped the old GRE aspirants as old GRE was based on mugging up the words. But the New GRE is not based on mugging up the words. It has 800 High Frequency words. If you have time, definitely you can refer this book. 7.5 / 10
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis : The book should be named Vocabulary made easy.
One of the best books I’ve ever read. Learn the words along with their roots. No need to mug up the words. This book is simply awesome. 9.5 / 10 (Must have)
Well do buy the “Must have” GRE preparation Books. It’ ll help you to score good. In my upcoming posts, I’ll share a 3 months time table for the GRE Preparation. Till then Keep visiting…!!