For those of you who are wondering what the heck is DS-160 after all, this is the post that will explain you everything about it. Now that the new year has started and admits are rolling in, many of the students will be wondering about the US visa (F1 student visa) procedure, this post will help with the first steps towards getting the visa for your MS in US. To get started, just understand, that DS-160 is a simple form which you need to fill in order to apply for a visa.
The checklist for filling DS-160 form is as mentioned below:
- A digital copy of your Photograph in a specific format. If for some reason, you cannot upload the photo correctly, you can carry a printed copy when you go to the consulate.
- The next step in the process is to know which is the nearest US embassy consulate to your residence. Here is the list of us consulates in India.
- Make sure your internet connectivity is reliable so that the connection doesn’t go off during the process.
- Passport details (Name as on passport, date of birth, issue date, expiration date, passport number, etc.) of each applicant.
- Information about the nearest family members (parents’ Name of the applicant, their occupation, current mailing address, work address, Annual income, etc).
- Name and address of your relatives in USA, if any.
- Last visit date to the US (if applicable).
- An internet browser with secure 128 bit encryption. Any modern browser like Firefox, chrome etc will suffice.
- Make sure you have a printer connected so that you can take an immediate printout of the confirmation. Alternatively you can also choose to take a screenshot and get it printed later.
Filling the DS-160
One should Provide correct and truthful information. Fill in the details as instructed for each textfield. Make sure you Answer all the questions.
- The form is pretty simple and most of the fields are with self-instructions. For fields that are not applicable, select “does not apply”.
- If you need a break while filling the form, you can choose to save your application on the embassy’s website itself. Not being active on the portal for more than 20 mins will log you out. One should also save a local copy of the data on the computer.
- Review the information you entered for accuracy.
- After you are done, take a print out.
- Take the print out with you when you go for the interview process.